As a homeowner, one of the most menacing perils to your home and family members is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners took on approximately $1.6 billion in costs as the result of accidental or negligent fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and are frequently stoppable -- with a little knowledge of where to act. And, luckily, you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that gets you emergency responders ASAP if you undergo an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In Jonesboro?
Fires can happen in nearly any place at any time on the premises. However, you can lessen the threat of a house fire if you take safety measures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Jonesboro. Cooking-related blazes typically begin when the kitchen is left neglected while making the meal. Water tossed on a grease fire can quickly expand a flame that would on the other hand die out.
- Candles: Going to sleep in a space with a lit candle is risky, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain ablaze if left near a window, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that just over 7,600 properties were damaged because of candle-related accidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, degrading or improperly installed lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Don't overwhelm your outlets or plug any object in with uncovered wires. If for any reason you hear popping or smell smoke from the outlet, turn the breaker off prior to investigating.
- Space Heaters: Look past coiled space heaters because junk, like pet fur, old papers, or blankets can accidentally make contact and spark up. However, you need to make sure to check on fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of operation.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 house fires started by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. So if you have a smoker who partakes inside, be certain they never pass out with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully snuff out your cigarette prior to placing it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Help When You Have A Fire
If a fire happens to break out, you will need to have an effective detection system to alert your family members before it gets serious. An ordinary smoke alarm might be sufficient but can only alert you if smoke is abundant. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a security device that's tied to your home security network -- is powerful enough to detect both smoke and rising temperatures and can do more to make sure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple ways it can inform you of smoke. Your alarms can inform your family with an ear-piercing alarm and an alert to your smartphone. All the while, your 24/7 monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere where you can't race back in time when a fire starts, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent can help coordinate contact between you and emergency personnel.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The odds of house fires in Jonesboro should never be underestimated, but you can rest assured if you have a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the smoke sensors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (870) 705-5022 or send in the form below to get started.